php & syslog lockup ???

I am working on a project with Apache, PHP4 and MySQL on a Debian box.
I am no PHP expert; but, those that supposedly are, are stumped by the
following problem.

They are developing on an older Red Hat box.  Also, in July, I built a
VMware image of a Debian box, since the production box is to be Debian
woody.  On these systems, the problem does no occur.

On the main Debian box, assembled last month, the application locks up
everytime it makes a call to the syslog function.  The developers are
stumped by this, saying that ``everybody'' uses this function.  Near as
I can tell, this syslog function comes from phpwebtools v0.4.0,
class.syslog.php.

This is a typical function call:

   syslog(LOG_INFO,"FUNCTIONS.php|verify_auth login attempt $user ");

I have tried to identify the problem by sticking similar calls at
various places in the code, then tracing via web interaction.  On the
problem system, the first instance of the syslog function call that I
get to, the application appears to lock up and time out.  When I comment
out that call, the application goes on, and locks up at the next call.

To reiterate, this does *not* occur on the Red Hat nor VMware Debian
boxen.  Furthermore, main supporting apps are identical DEB's:

   ii  apache                      1.3.27.0-2
   ii  apache-common               1.3.27.0-2
   ii  mysql-client                4.0.13-3
   ii  mysql-common                4.0.13-3
   ii  mysql-server                4.0.13-3
   ii  php4                        4.1.2-6woody3
   ii  php4-cgi                    4.1.2-6woody3
   ii  php4-mysql                  4.1.2-6woody3

Anybody seen such a phenomenon?

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,