Re: file system check, and defrag

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 03:47, Kordula Martin wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> being real new to Debian, and fairly new to Linux, I have the following
> questions -
>
> I have 3.0r1 Woody installed with ext3 file systems and would like to
> periodically check, and then defrag, the file system(s).
>
> 1.  How (and what is the best way) to do this?

You don't need to defragment files unless you use DOS/Windows
filesystems like FAT or NTFS.

> 2.  Other distributions I've had installed, run a file system check at
> bootup.  Why not Debian?

Debian most certainly will/does do fsck at boot time, just not
every time.  Imagine how long boots would be with modern-sized
disks.  Look at the tune2fs mn page, and search for the -c and -i
options, for the reason.

To force an fsck on the next boot, "# touch /forcefsck".  See
/etc/init.d/checkroot.sh for example.

> 3.  How can I setup Debian to check at bootup?

See answer #2.

> Thanks in advance!
> Kordula

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

Spit in one hand, and wish for peace in the other.
Guess which is more effective...