Re: XFree86 4.3 in stable sarge - how likely

John Peter wrote:
Lukas Ruf wrote:

Uwe Dippel <udippel@uniten.edu.my> [2003-11-03 10:06]:

On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 09:25:13 +0100, Jaque Moreau wrote:

... you can always upgrade manually ... !

can I find the required .deb files anywhere?

wbr,
Lukas

I did a quick search on Google amd found it right away :

Put this on your sources.list :
# XFree 4.3
deb http://penguinppc.org/~daniels/sid/i386/ ./
deb http://www.schuldei.org/debian/bruby/ ./

Hold it... If you get this one then you get something terrific besides just getting 4.3.0: XFree86's that will run side-by-side on separate display cards. I am using this one right now. I am logged in on a 17" monitor and to the left of me is another 17" monitor that my wife uses and the 2 are connected to 2 Nvidia cards (TNT2-AGP, GeForce4-MX440-PCI) in the one PC in between the 2, running Debian.

You have to get a kernel patch to be able to also have separate keyboards that keep their input apart. There are 3: 2.4.21, 2.4.22 and 2.6.0. The best one is 2.4.22. I have used all three.

You should run gdm as display manager because it will sequentially start the XFree's and take them down in reverse, because if you use xdm or kdm you might not have an vga-text console as a result.

Caveat: no framebuffers. At least not with my graphic cards. There are other cards running with framebuffers on 2.6.0

Folks this is the greatest thing since Linux and Debian...

And I just changed my sources list and ran apt-get dist-upgrade...

Hugo.

Then run :
apt-get install xserver-xfree86 -t 4.3

This was NOT verifyed by me - do it at your own risk .

John