Re: courier-imap setup - can't authenticate and maildir Q

On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 10:39:17 -0500 David Gaudine wrote:

> Another question.  I want to switch from wu-imap to courier-imap
> for efficiency.  This seems to require switching from sendmail to
> exim, so I did, but reluctantly since everyone else here uses
> sendmail.  Is it true that there's no way to use sendmail with
> courier-imap and maildirs?

Sendmail and Exim are interchangeable software blocks serving one purpose,
courier-imap and wu-imap are another set of interchangeable software blocks
serving another, different purpose. You can play with them as might suit
your fancy since any block will participate in the game according to a
general set of rules all of them abide by.

Besides, an imap server doesn't really work with an MTA. It just sits on
top of a few directories and distributes mail to connecting clients
according to a configured set of rules. So go ahead and use sendmail and
courier-imap, no reason it shouldn't work, especially because none of
them has to be aware of the other.

If it helps, my ususal mail chain for incoming mail uses fetchmail for
retrieval from ISP, then sendmail, then procmail for distribution into
a set of directories, then courier-imap for local/remote distribution
to mail readers.

(I think fetchmail could be made to deliver directly to procmail and
save the sendmail step, but it's been working so nicely... ;)

--
Carlos Sousa
http://vbc.dyndns.org/