Re: 2.4.22 & IDE modules

On 3 Nov 2003 at 10:57, Justin Georgeson wrote:

> Forgive me if this has been documented somewhere and I missed it. I
> recently installed my first debian desktop box. I used a bf2.4 net
> install cd linked to on debian.org, finished the base install, canceled
> tasksel, and did a dist-upgrade to unstable. I also took the opportunity
> to get the latest 2.4 SMP kernel, which was 2.4.22-1-686-smp. After

do you use more than one CPU? If not, don't use the SMP-kernel.

> booting, I could not access any IDE drives and my sound card didn't
> work. With some help from #debian, it was determined that it was a

Which ide-controller do you use? An output of "lspci -vvv" would be
helpful.

> problem with modules. So I installed the 2.4.22 source package, used the
> 2.4.22-1-686-smp .config, changed CONFIG_IDE to y, built and rebooted.
> My sound card works with no fuss, which confuses me since CONFIG_IDE is
> the only change I made. But I still have to load ide-detect manually to
> access my IDE drives. I never did get it to work with the

add "ide-detect" in /etc/modules and run an "update-modules"
afterwards (you can also do a modconf and add the required modules)

--
Mit freundlichen Gruessen/Best regards,
Sebastian Piecha

EMail: spi@gmxpro.de