Re: How can I stop the console from blanking

On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 02:03:13PM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 01, 2003 at 06:16:59AM -0500, Haines Brown wrote:
> > > I put this following into ~/.bash_profile:
> > >=20
> > > 	# to get rid of blanking of console:
> > > 	setterm -blank 0
> > >=20
> > > but I was never able to find out were in /etc to put it for a global
> > > effect rather than just in account configurations.
> >
> > # cat > /etc/init.d/noblank
> > #!/bin/bash
> > /usr/bin/setterm -blank 0
> > echo 'Console blanking disabled'
> > ^D
> > # chmod a+x /etc/init.d/noblank
> > # ln -s /etc/init.d/noblank /etc/rc2.d/S99noblank
> >
> > (These blanking things would be rather more useful if they could be
> > configured to blank after a certain time with no input *and no output*.)
>
> Thanks, I see how that works (noblank needs to be executable), but
> assumed there was some obvious script file checked during boot.

I think that's what Red Hat does. Debian has a directory full of
individual scripts for each operation, and other directories full of
symlinks to call the relevant scripts at change of runlevel. I much
prefer the Debian way...

--
Pigeon

Be kind to pigeons