Re: GeForce4 MX440 with kernel 2.4.18-bf24

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 05:41:33AM -0500, Haines Brown said
> > On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 07:26:40AM -0600, Hoyt Bailey said

Be careful trimming attributions, you don't want to be held responsible
for something I said ;-)

> > 3) get the non-free binary-only nvidia drivers.  The "nvidia-glx-src"
> >    and "nvidia-kernel-src" packages make this rather easy.  This is only
> >    an option on x86, however.
>
> Rob, I follow you on points 1 and 2, but not 3. The nVidia has
> completely changed its driver policy, and now everything (driver,
> installation utility) comes in one self-expanding .run file. And this
> driver supports a range of their cards, including all the GeForces. So
> it's very simple now. What you do is to use a (downloaded or
> automatically compiled) interface to mediate the relation of your
> driver and kernel.

I'm aware of this, but the Debian packages download and bulid the driver
for you, and the result is a pair of .debs.  These .debs will be easily
removable in the future, and will also handle loading the kernel module,
and won't let X stomp over your Nvidia driver.

> Further, it is apparently free. Or at least I downloaded and installed
> the driver on woody and have not paid yet ;-). The driver's name is
> "nvidia."

Colin handled this quite adroitly.

--
Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> | mlspam@ertius.org  |  Do I look like I want a CC?
Words of the day:     unclassified IRA government Perl-RSA undercover espionage