Re: Can't install networking.

On Fri, Oct 31, 2003 at 07:26:39PM -0800, Mark Healey wrote:
> On Fri, 31 Oct 2003 18:08:05 -0900, Ken Irving wrote:

> >> The Broadcom 4400 is hardly rare.
> >
> >I haven't been following this saga, but googling for Broadcom 4400 seems
> >to suggest that the support for this chipset might be a very recent thing.
> >Perhaps you could get another network card for which drivers do exist,
> >get the system running, and then resume your effort to get the Broadcom
> >working.
> >
> >It is reasonable to expect some difficulties in building a system with
> >barely supported hardware, however non-rare it might be.
>
> I thought of that but it is a dual boot setup (controled with a
> physical switch) and I would have to reconfigure the other OS.
>
> The broadcom is also on the mobo which means extra hassle.

I've done this sort of thing (adding extra network cards) under both
Windows and Linux without much difficulty.  You shouldn't need to
do anything to the on-board interface, and could probably disable the
add-on one under Windows (assuming you're running that OS), if necessary,
while using it to get networking running under a Debian distro and default
kernel.

Otherwise, I wouldn't expect it to be easy, but that's your decision.

Ken

--
Ken Irving, Research Analyst, fnkci@uaf.edu, 907-474-6152
Water and Environmental Research Center