pppd headache

Hi,

I am having major problems with pppd. Please help :-(

I use the following commands to allow my palm (tungsten E) to connect to
the net via ppp:

#masq stuff
echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward
iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -j MASQUERADE -o eth0

#/dev/pilot is a symlink to /dev/ttyUSB1
/usr/sbin/pppd /dev/pilot 115200 192.168.0.40:192.168.0.42 noauth silent
local persist -detach

It will not run unless the palm is trying to connect - it spits out the
following error if the palm is not trying to connect:

Failed to open /dev/pilot: No such device

How do I suppress that error so it wait till the palm tries to connect
(and the device is created)?

Once it is running I cant stop it. Nothing (I mean it) will stop it. I
have to restart the computer if I need to use other programs with the
palm and worse of all it will not allow the file system to be unmounted
because it is always using the /dev/ttyUSB0 file!! It causes fsck to run
every boot!

How can I set pppd up so that it disconnects and shuts down when the
palm does? Can it be set up at boot: to wait on a palm connection but
not block the device)?

uname -a:
Linux paulscomputer 2.4.22-1-k7 #5 Sat Oct 4 14:11:12 EST 2003 i686
GNU/Linux

Thanks

Paul

--