Setting up linux-wlan-ng with Kernel 2.4.22 Was: Why is linux-wlan-ng not an ordinary part of the kernel?

Hi Mark,

> > > no, you don't need linux-wlan-ng for this. The stock orinoco_cs driver
> > > works just fine in my laptop.

> > Ok, I get it working without encryption, but not with encryption. Did you
> > get this working with WEP128?

> using which module? the stock orinoco_cs module? Sorry, I don't use wep.
> I use application level encryption and ipsec. Maybe someone else has
> though...

Yep, I compiled the 2.4.22 sources from unstable, but after reading the other
posting from david am now moving to wlan-ng. At least I have found an option
to use WEP128 there.

> > Btw. If some day a 2.4.22 module will come out, how would I tell my
> > system not use the pcmci stuff anymore, but the wlan-ng?

> by installing linux-wlan-ng which inserts the module info in /etc/pcmcia

I added the description reported by card manager to wlan-ng.conf and mapped it
to prism2_cs. Furthermore I removed the mapping for my card from /etc/pcmcia/
config.  We'll see how that works.

I am currently waiting on the kernel-compulation as prism2_cs has not been
found/built whatever (find /lib/modules/ - name *ism* didn't return
anything).
I now added links in /usr/src/modules/pcmcia-cs to /usr/src/
pcmcia-<version-number> and the same for linux-wlan-ng. I also added
--added-modules=pcmcia-cs and

> > > There is no kernel citizenship hierarchy. Install the modules and they
> > > will work.

> > Unfortunately there is no module for 2.4.22 ;-(
> You mean no precompiled linux-wlan-ng modules? Yes, that's true. Maybe
> if you ask the maintainer to provide it.
Yeah, good idea. Will do that if I don't get it working with the sources.
With "not first class" I mean, that to me it is way harder to learn yet
another way to compile the kernel.

Cheers,
Mariano