via-rhine problems with dlink DFE-530TX

Hi again, folks,

I have this kind of ongoing issue with a machine that's got a
pretty-much clean install of woody, and has a D-Link DFE-530TX NIC in it
that doesn't want to play nice with Debian.

When I configure it all up manually (specifying an IP and netmask on the
ifconfig command-line and doing a route add for my default gw) and then
ping my gateway, it lags for a while and then spits out this:
  PING 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1): 56 data bytes
  NETDEV WATCHDOG: eth0: transmit timed out
  eth0: Transmit timed out, status 0000, PHY status 786d, resetting...
  eth0: Reset not complete yet. Trying harder.
  eth0: Setting full-duplex based on MII #1 link partner capability of 45e1.

  --- 192.168.1.1 ping statistics ---
  17 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100% packet loss

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I _know_ the hardware is good,
because under Knoppix it works like a charm. And I'm _pretty_ sure that
I've ironed out the wrinkles that were due to my (mis)configuration...
Knoppix is using a 2.4.21 kernel. My woody install is currently using
2.4.22 from kernel.org source, though I've also tried the bf24 kernel
and 2.4.21 from debian source.

At this point, I can only think of three things it might be:
 -  Knoppix using some patches to the kernel or driver
 -  My custom kernel has some option that conflicts with via-rhine
 -  Knoppix is passing some arguments to the module

So now I'm trying to dismantle the process to see if I can figure out
which it is.  Starting with arguments passed to the module, 'cause it
seems easiest (and maybe most likely?)...

dmesg under knoppix (where the card works) shows this:
  via-rhine.c:v1.10-LK1.1.17  March-1-2003  Written by Donald Becker
    http://www.scyld.com/network/via-rhine.html
  PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:0b.0
  eth0: VIA VT6105 Rhine-III at 0xe8000000, 00:05:5d:75:3c:e1, IRQ 11.
  eth0: MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x7869 advertising 05e1 Link 45e1.

dmesg under woody (where I get the error shown above) shows this:
  via-rhine.c:v1.10-LK1.1.19  July-12-2003  Written by Donald Becker
    http://www.scyld.com/network/via-rhine.html
  PCI: Found IRQ 11 for device 00:0b.0
  eth0: VIA VT6105 Rhine-III at 0x6800, 00:05:5d:75:3c:e1, IRQ 11.
  eth0: MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x7869 advertising 05e1 Link 45e1.

Now, I'm noticing it says "VIA VT6105 Rhine-III at" different values...
I dunno what that means but it kinda doesn't smell right.

Is that value something I can/should be passing as an argument to the
module? Is it the io argument?  Does it look like a plausible cause for
my problem?

Oh, and is it possible to pass arguments to a compiled-in driver, or do
I have to go back and compile again with via-rhine as a module?

Other suggestions?  Ideas?

	Thanks!
--