Re: automating e2fsck to assume y

Jason M. Harvey wrote:
> i've had some problems lately with one of my debian boxes... it's a k6-2
> 350 mhz with about 256 mb ram. i think one of the dimm's may be bad.

  apt-get install memtest86

Then read /usr/share/doc/memtest86/examples/* and make the memtest
image one of your possible boot images.  Then if you ever suspect
memory trouble you can easily run the test to check.  Very nice.

Alternatively you can download the boot image and just boot it off of
a cdrom or floppy.  Works great too.

  http://www.memtest86.com/

> so, it crashes once in a while, and seems if i have downloaded large
> amounts of data just before the crash, e2fsck will run at startup and
> take forever - and fix errors.
>
> i'm running ext2 - is there any way, such as in fstab, to specify "-y"
> to e2fsck if it ever needs to be run manually at startup?

  editor /etc/default/rcS

Change 'no' to 'yes':

  # Set FSCKFIX to "yes" if you want to add "-y" to the fsck at startup.
  FSCKFIX=no

Better to completely clean your filesystem, then convert your ext2 to
ext3 using tune2fs.  I don't have the commands for that handy.  But
google around and you will find many references for how to do that.
There is an article every month in one magazine or another about it.

Bob