Re: Incremental CDR backups

On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:08, Paul M Foster wrote:
> I'm having difficulty burning incremental CDR backups. (Using Debian
> 3.0r1/testing.) They burn fine, but when I mount the CD after the second
> and subsequent backups, all I can see is the original session.
>
> Here are the commands I give Linux:
>
> (First burn)
>
> mkisofs -r -o /tmp/cdimage /home/paulf/cdrom
> cdrecord -v -multi speed=4 dev=0,0,0 -data /tmp/cdimage
>
> (Second burn, after creating a new bunch of stuff to backup)
>
> NEXTTRACK=`cdrecord -msinfo dev=0,0,0`
> mkisofs -r -o /tmp/cdimage -C $NEXTTRACK -M /dev/cdrom /home/paulf/cdrom
> cdrecord -v -multi speed=4 dev=0,0,0 -data /tmp/cdimage
>
> According to the CD-Writing-HOWTO and the README.multi doc file from the
> cdrecord disto, this should do it. But all I see is the original session
> when I mount the CD. (And no, I don't want to do this with a GUI,
> thanks.)

Paul,
You need a way to select files to backup that are newer than the previous
backup. So:

cp -p /var/backup/control /tmp/control
where /var/backup/control was 'touched' at the time of the previous backup.
followed by:
touch /var/backup/control

Also, you need to give a unique file name for each backup.
Something like:
OFN="backup_incr-"$(date -I)".tgz"
then:
tar --create --gzip --file $OFN \
--newer /tmp/control \
--exclude *.iso \
--exclude *.wav \
 /home/paulf/

After that:
touch /var/backup/control

You can use as many --exclude options as you want to avoid backing up such
stuff as your browser cache and so on.

If you don't want to tar and zip your backup you can use the -graft-points
option of mkisofs to create a dir on the cdrom based on the date of backup or
similar. See the man page.

Then the iso for the first burn
mkisofs -r -o /tmp/cdimage $OFN
burn it

subsequent burns
mkisofs -r -o /tmp/cdimage -C $NEXTTRACK -M /dev/cdrom $OFN
and burn it.

And I agree with you, leave the GUI stuff out of this, it adds complication
for no real gain.

HTH
Bob