Re: aptitude - finding broken packages

On Tuesday 28 October 2003 14:18, JG wrote:

> > Is there a quicker way of locating the broken packages
[...]
> /~b
>
> will bring you to the next broken package.
>
> l~b
>
> will narrow the packages list to only those that are broken.
[...]

Thanks.  I really haven't got used to this apt system yet.  The two broken
ones today are Mozilla, which I use, so I suppose I just wait until that is
not broken before doing anything.  Trying to hold the existing mozilla is
apparently not an option, and removing the new one from the list seems to
break something else and leave me with no mozilla.  Not that I really know
what I'm doing.

I installed from Knoppix2.1 and have now got some sort of hybrid woody/
testing/unstable, if I understand correctly.  The sources list is huge.  Is
there a way of doing a 'what-if' to see what would happen if I settled on
unstable throughout - with the option to just go back to where I am now?
Would that allow me to have a shorter sources list shorter and make updates
simpler?  Is is a good idea?  I am scared of tinkering and messing the whole
thing up.

The knoppix install got me out of a hole, but I know I have a mountain of
unneccessary packages installed.  I uninstall the odd one I chance on that I
definitely do not need, and the odd one that fails to configure correctly at
bootup because it is for nonexistent hardware or whatever.  But I suppose the
only way to get a lean system would be start with nothing and install as
needed.  Which would cost me time I don't have.

--
richard