Re: Debian to English translation

Alex Malinovich wrote:

On Mon, 2003-10-27 at 09:17, Hoyt Bailey wrote:
I just read the abp-get manpage and cannot understand some references.
The manpage for each option gives a useage such as APT: :GET: :PURG

Lets say I want to purge kdm.  Can someone give a proper command line to use
that would be applicable to all options.

I'm not sure what man page you're looking at, but my apt-get man page
clearly shows command line options with the full configuration options
(such as APT::Get::Purge) only at the very end of the description.
Purge, in particular, is shown as:

‐‐purge
      Use  purge instead of remove for anything that would be removed.
      An asterisk ("*") will be displayed next to packages  which  are
      scheduled to be purged.  Configuration Item: APT::Get::Purge.

So to get back to your original question, the command line to use to
purge something would be "apt-get remove --purge <packagename>".

IIUC, if you wanted the purge to be the default behaviour rather than having to specify it on the command line as Alex does above, you'd create/edit the file /etc/apt/apt.conf and put a line in it like so:
   APT::Get::Purge

Now whenever you do an "apt-get remove foo", foo not only gets removed, it gets purged. I think.

--
Kent