Re: classic deficiancy in both windows and linux ?

On Fri, 2003-10-24 at 18:51, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 07:34:43PM -0400, Travis Crump wrote:
> > Not to mention the fact that I'd love to see a good definition of what
> > is 'normally' installed on a Linux machine.
>
> Ohh, ooh!  I got it!  The kernel.  Everything after that comes
> seperately.

Well, hmmm, *normally*, initd, libc6, bash & perl are also installed.
Top, ps, tar, gzip, the contents of binutils & coreutils, heck,
*lots* of stuff are normally installed on every Linux system.

In fact, except on the smallest (i.e. floppy & embedded) systems,
are these utils ever *not* installed?

Ron Johnson, Jr. ron.l.johnson@cox.net
Jefferson, LA USA

"Whatever may be the moral ambiguities of the so-called demoratic
nations and however serious may be their failure to conform
perfectly to their democratic ideals, it is sheer moral
perversity to equate the inconsistencies of a democratic
civilization with the brutalities which modern tyrannical states
practice."
Reinhold Nieburhr, ca. 1940