Re: way-OT: regularity of german v. english [was: Re: OT - Programming Languages w/o English Syntax]

On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 02:21:45PM -0700, Tom wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 10:54:26PM +0200, David Jardine wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 24, 2003 at 12:11:49PM -0700, Erik Steffl wrote:
> > >
> > >   english is like lego, yes there are some pieces that change shape
> > > etc. but it consists mostly of bricks and brick like pieces. german (and
> > > lot of other languages) is more like putty - you mold things together.
> > > the lego-like structure of english makes it easier to create a computer
> > > language...
> > >

> > But what the hell is English about the syntax of, for example,
> >
> >    if(isRed(the_fork))  ?
> >
> > It sounds more like Italian to me.
> >

> I think the "the" is throwing you:
>
> I would say isRed(fork) contains an implied [it] and [a]:
>
> [it] | is |      fork
> -----|----|----------
>      |    | \   \
>              \a  \red
>
> fork is a "predicate noun", red is an adjective

No, I want to hand them a fork and ask them if the fork (subject)
is red.  I know it's a fork.

> But fork.isRed would be:
>
> fork | is \ red
>
> fork is the subject, red is "a predicate adjective"

Exactly.  So I really want to say "If the fork is red.." and,
as Monique points out, you have to go object oriented to
represent reality.