Problem w/ raid1, reiserfs & mkinitrd/linuxrc

Hi,

the combination of raid1, reiserfs, and mkinitrd works sort of.
An admin and me have still two problems:

- a lot of modules are loaded unnecessarily

- on boot (it seems) the devices are probed for different file systems
  until reiserfs is found

We tried different things, like setting /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf's
ROOT=/dev/md1 and MODULES=dep etc. but either the problems persist or
the kernel doesn't boot (kernel panic).  We found the linuxrc file of
the init RD relatively complecated.  We compared it to the one of
SuSE which was much simpler.  What did we miss?  Thanks in advance!

Cheers, WB