X Window System will not start.

Hi All;
I have played with Red Hat .2 and Caldera Desktop Open Linux for a couple of
years and couldnt get them to function, just to let you know. I suspected a
large part of the problem was the computer (a 586).  I acquired a new up to
date system and have had same for 5 months. The new system consists of:
Motherboard: Gigabyte 7VAX VIA KT-400, W/USB-2,Audio (AC97), 8X agp.
Video: NVIDA GeForce-4 MX-440 4X agp.
Modem: Intel 536EP PCI 56K V92.