Re: classic deficiancy in both windows and linux ?

Make yourself a script :)

Then give it an icon and you can run it from the desktop.

Try something like:

#!/bin/bash
dirname=`kdialog --inputbox "Please enter dir name"`

if [ ! -d "$dirname" ]; then
	kdialog --error "Directory does not exist"
	exit
fi

#Directory exists
ls $dirname > /tmp/dirlist.$$
kwrite /tmp/dirlist.$$
#Delete temp file after kwrite exits
rm /tmp/dirlist.$$

Heh, I knew I read the KDialog http://dot.kde.org tutorial for a good reason
:)

If you are using KDE from CVS, I *think* there's:

kdialog --getexistingdirectory

but on KDE 3.1.4 KDialog says something like "Unknown dialog type" so I
presume it's not implemented there.

Hope that helps,

David