Re: suspend to ram, or hibernate

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 13:57, Rob Weir wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2003 at 06:31:40PM +0200, LeVA said
> > Hello!
> >
> > Is it possible to suspend my system to ram, or to hibernate it? Could
> > someone tell/show me a howto about this.
>
> You can use "swsusp" (google for it, it's a kernel patch), but I don't
> think it's ready for serious use yet.  Can't you just use ACPI or APM on
> hardware that supports it?

Lot's of ACPI laptops lack the "S1" (Suspend) state and instead require
you to use S3 or S4, (suspend to ram and suspend to disk) instead. Linux
2.4.x doesn't support either of those modes. Instead, you have to use
SWSUSP which appears to be a big nasty hack. Linux 2.6 appears to
support S3 mode, and S4 seems to be fluctuating in brokenness between
-test releases. So, if you're feeling lucky, try one of the handy
debian-packaged 2.6 kernels. I toyed with it briefly, but I needed my
computer to actually work, so gave up on it rather quickly.

To answer you 2nd question, no your network can not still be active
while your computer is suspended. Just try to think about how that would
work...

-Mark