Re: how to figure out the gateway number?

On Thu, 2003-10-23 at 18:52, Andrew Kasza wrote:

> I know my IP address, netmask, broadcast.
>
> Is there a way to figure out the network and gateway
> number?

Simple answer:
The gateway is the machine on your network that is connected to the
internet. Unless you have dhcp on your network, you can't 'figure out'
the gateway adress. Either you know, or you dont. If in doubt, ask your
Sysadmin.

More complex:
Learn more, read http://www.tldp.org/LDP/nag2/index.html

Sorry if this doesn't really help you, but to give you a precise answer
I'd need a lot more information. Starting with "is this machine on a
network, or do you have a ppp link to your provider"?

> Is it enough to do the following three steps?:
> 1step 'ifdown --all'
> 2step
> ' to change the file /etc/network/interfaces'
> 3step 'ifup --all'

You don't need to shut down your interfaces before editing the file, it
will only be read once each time the interfaces are brought up.
So, just change your file and ifdown/ifup afterwards.
Or, even better, type '/etc/init.d/networking restart'

cu,
Schnobs