Re: Best way to combine file systems?

"Karsten M. Self" <kmself@ix.netcom.com> wrote:

>> It is generally not a good idea to use LVM directly on
>> top of a disk. You always should use LVM on top of a
>> RAID-System. If you use xfs as your filesystem you can
>> even extend your partitions while they are mounted.
>
> What's your basis for these statements?  I've not heard
> this before.

If you have only one disk, it basically doesn't matter (if
the disk is eliminated your data is as well).

If there are two or more disks and volume groups spanning two
or more of them, your data will be lost as soon as one of
the disks crashes (same thing as with RAID 0). The more
disks the higher the probability of a crash.

And concerning xfs: xfs_growfs is your friend.

by
Töns
--
There is no safe distance.