Re: Kernel panic error

On Tue, Oct 21, 2003 at 07:27:29AM +0100, Anim Asante wrote:
> I have got a grub menu.lst file with a section of the
> file looking like this
>  root (hd1,0)
>  kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/hdb1
>  boot
>
> When I restart my machine and select this option, the
> boot up process begins up
> to a point and it gives the following error message:
>  Warning: unable to open an initial console.
>  Kernel panic: No init found.
>  Try passing init= option to kernel.
>
> Can anybody indicate what "option" should be?
> Thanks

The kernel can't find /sbin/init.  Are you sure your root partition is
at /dev/hdb1?  Have you compiled a new kernel?  If so, did you remember
to build in support for your root filesystem?  Try booting from a floppy
or CD, or your old kernel if you have one.  Or you could try
init=/bin/sh

--
You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.