Re: A newbie's confusion about GPL

Tom <tb.31009.nospam@comcast.net> said,
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 10:34:52PM +0800, Dasn Cups wrote:
> > Hi, all.
> > I know little about License...:)
> >
> > If I use GNU's source code in my project but don't open my source, who will
> > punish me?
> >

> Nobody, as long as you don't give it to anyone.

I have a question, too. What if you adapt the code, for example porting
some functionality into a different language such that the syntax is
different, but the results are the same? Is that protected by the
license as well, or is that an acceptable derivation?

Also, what constitutes "distribution"? If it is a web-based system
wherein the functionality is distributed through access to the site but
the source code package itself isn't distributed, does the license
compel the author to offer the source code?

IANAL, so I'm just curious.

--
Aaron Bieber
-