Re: A newbie's confusion about GPL

On Mon, 2003-10-20 at 09:44, Johann Spies wrote:
> On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 05:31:33PM +0200, Henning Moll wrote:
> > On Saturday 18 October 2003 17:09, Paul Smith wrote:
> > > If you use GPL'd code and you distribute the results, you have to
> > > give the source code, either along with the program or when people
> > > ask you for it.
> >
> > And you have to put your own code also under a GPL compatible license.
>
> I don't think that is necessary but I may be wrong.
>
> This is how I understand it: if you use GPL libraries you will have to
> mention that in your documentation and make available the source code
> of those libraries.  You can license your own program differently even
> if you use GPL code and then you don't have to reveal your code except
> for the open source parts of the libraries.

That is true of libraries licensed under the LGPL, but not of those
licensed under the GPL.  If they are GPL licensed, any thing that links
to them must also be licensed under a compatible license, which means
that the source code must be made available.

     "For the LORD God is a sun and shield; the LORD will
      give grace and glory; no good thing will he withhold
      from them that walk uprightly."        Psalms 84:11