Re: logcheck

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 03:39:41PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:

> Me too.  I just spent a lot of time staring at the source and
> submitted a patch with much expanded documentation: see bug 215640.

I've browsed it, I'll have a look at it asap.

> Are you saying the messages are getting flagged despite the above
> setttings?

Yes.

> That might also happen if some other patterns in
> cracking.d or violations.d are picking them out.  In particular, if
> logcheck (the pattern file, not the program) is picking them out, you
> need to disable it with logcheck-postfix or a local or local-* file
> (logcheck-postfix will only ignore patterns found for the "logcheck"
> file, while local* affects everything.

No entries in cracking.d and no relevant ones in violantions.

I now have this:
schamper:/etc/logcheck# grep -r postfix  *
ignore.d/postfix:postfix.*
ignore.d.paranoid/postfix:postfix.*
ignore.d.server/postfix:postfix.*
ignore.d.workstation/postfix:postfix.*

That are the only files that have someting about postfix in them.

Every file has postfix.* in it.

> What severity are your error reports, i.e., what is the message before
> the section in which they appear?  That indicates whether they are
> from a pattern in cracking.d ("Security Alerts"), violations.d
> ("Security Violations"), or just the residual unrecognized "System
> Events".

The severity is 'Possible Security Violations':  e.g.:

Oct 18 16:21:56 schamper postfix/cleanup[18573]: 0C40D5150: reject: header Subject: dont dare to intimate bcos of ur bro too little? oboebefell; from=<uvhuxj@cybergate.com> to=<annelies@schamper.rug.ac.be>: SecuritySage SPAM-ID: h20030701-45001 Your email had spam-like header contents. To report this message as non-spam, please follow the instructions available at http://www.securitysage.com/spam.html

Because I put "postfix.*" in those files, it should discard everything
of postfix, right?

Thanks in advance
--
Rudy Gevaert                rudy@zeus.UGent.be