Re: RAID install

On Sat, Oct 18, 2003 at 09:09:19PM +0100, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I'd like to install Woody on a motherboard with SATA RAID, using the
> RAID 1 array as the root partition.  The problem is that the neccessary
> driver (silraid) is in 2.4.22, but not in 2.4.18 (which as we all know is the
> Debian install kernel).
>
> Any suggestions?  This is for a server that needs to be up on Monday...
> :(

A hack type solution is to find some way of booting linux on the
machine: that is to say any linux distribution, redhat, knoppix, some
rescue floppy somewhere, and so on.

Then once you have linux running, get the network up and send over a
tarball of a Debian base system (you can create this using debootstrap),
unpack that, install the necessary kernel 2.4.22 in your case (you can
use make-kpgk to make youself a nice little package) then run lilo or
set up grub or whatever and reboot into debian.

Please let me know if you need help with any of these steps.

Bijan
--
Bijan Soleymani <bijan@psq.com>
http://www.crasseux.com