modprobe after kernel-update

Hello,

I am new to Debian linux, but I like this distribution and don't like to change because of the following problem: Because I use a special adsl-modem, I had to compile a new kernel according to the kernel-package manual, I chose 2.4.20. Everything went fine, but after rebooting, modprobe wasn't able to locate the modules any more: For example: root@woody: modprobe input returned the error: modprobe: can't locate module input. But before kernel-update, it could. Do I have to edit /etc/modules.conf by hand? Thank you for the answer.

Peter Dürmüller