Re: Problems logging in

Robert Rati wrote:

I'm running unstable, and about a month ago I noticed that after my
machine had been up for a few days that I couldn't initiate a log in
session or switch users.  After the password is accepted, the log
session just sits there and never returns a prompt.  The system is just
fine though. If I'm already logged in, I can run any program. Ctrl-Alt-Del does not work though. A few times, I've had the system
recover after a long period of time.  I update my packages every night
hoping that an update will fix it, but as of yet it hasn't.    Has
anyone else seen this problem?

Rob
I'm no expert, but I'd suspect shadow password problems and/or pam issues.

You might try turning off shadow passwords temporarily, to see if that has any effect.

You might try reinstalling any pam stuff.

I know this is vague, but like I said, I'm no expert.

--
Kent