Unable to type <alt-gr> symbols under X

I have just reinstalled Debian on a new hard disk (could've been
smoother) and have found this problem:

I use the Spanish locale. In the text console, the keyboard works fine,
and I can type all kinds of accented letters as well as those accessible
with the alt-gr key (@,#, tilde, euro symbol, backslash, vertical bar,
square brackets, curly brackets). However in X, I get to the accented
characters fine (áéíóúñ), but not to the alt-gr characters.

In fact, in X the same thing happens if I press AltGr-3 than if I pressed
Alt-3, so for some reason it seems X considers AltGr to be the same as Alt.

This happens with KDE or Gnome, and with ISO8859-1 or ISO8859-15.
XkbModel ("pc105") and XkbLayout ("es") are set OK in XF86Config-4 (in fact,
it is the same file I was using before, and *then* it worked perfectly).

What can it be?

Please, help me! X is almost unusable: Writing emails is difficult (copy
and paste the '@' all the time), and programming in C or Python is but
impossible (no brackets, no hash symbol).

Thanks for your help,

Nacho de los Ríos