Re: Any correlation between malloc return value and physical location?

At 2003-10-13T08:10:47Z, Rob Weir <rweir@ertius.org> writes:

> Kinda tangential, but if you run multiple copies of the same program (==
> from the same file on disk), they share memory for the actual code.

I wasn't very clear when I wrote that.  I was think of a case like:

   $ gcc -o alloctest alloctest.c
   $ cp alloctest program1
   $ cp alloctest program2
   $ cp alloctest program3

where the three programs were identical but came from different files
(specifically to keep the VM system from optimizing away the interesting
parts).

Anyway, thanks to everyone who responded.  I thought that's the way it would
work, but I don't know anything about the Linux implementation details to
feel speek confidently about it.
--
Kirk Strauser
In Googlis non est, ergo non est.