Re: Creating a new machine with the same set of packages as an existing one?

On Mon, Oct 13, 2003 at 08:31:52AM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 09:14:08PM -0400, Roberto Sanchez wrote:
> > Neal Lippman wrote:
> > >Now, using either of the above package lists, you can do:
> > >	for pkg in $(cat package-listing-from-xxx);
> > >	do
> > >		apt-get install $pkg;
> > >	done
> > >which will work although not be the most efficient way (because you will
> > >have to run apt-get for each package, and hence dependences are
> > >re-resolved over and over, or:
> >
> > Better way:
> >
> > (after adjusting sources.list)
> >
> > apt-get update
> > dpkg --set-selections <package-listing-from-xxx
> > apt-get upgrade
>
> I believe that --set-selections only actually has an effect if you do
> 'apt-get dselect-upgrade' (or 'dselect install', less circuitously).
> 'apt-get upgrade' uses apt's own upgrading logic rather than what you
> selected.

Ah, that probably explains my prolems.

I'll go back and try that tonight. The shell loop thing has it's own set of
problems (to say nothing of asking me to confirm things so many times I
never did finish it after 10+ hours).

neither liberty nor safety."
						-- Benjamin Franklin