Re: copying entire hard drive

On Sun, 12 Oct 2003 at 16:58 GMT, Gerard Ceraso penned:
> I have a hard drive that is going bad so I want to copy it from the
> old hard drive to the new one, same hd and everything. I was wondering
> which was faster doing dd if=/dev/hdc of=/dev/hda or mounting each
> partition and and just using cp.
>
> ~gerard http://devslash.org

I recommend using cp rather than dd because of what another poster
mentioned, the size issue.

If you do go the cp route, use 'cp -a', which will do nice things for
you, like preserving symbolic links.

--
monique
Unless you need to share ultra-sensitive super-spy stuff with me, please