Re: advise about bying ATI Gaphic card

On Sunday 12 October 2003 23:04, Haim Ashkenazi wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm thinking of bying Hercules 3D Prophet 9600, so I googled for it. I
> didn't find many matches (on the debian lists), and most of them were in
> french, so I was wondering is that good or bad?
> Is this card well supported? I know that ATI released drivers for it,
but
> the few matches I've found scared me...
>
> thanx
> --
> Haim

Hello Haim,

I've just installed a Sapphire 9200 256MB on one of my unstable boxes.

Using the latest ATI drivers (3.2.8), and after re-compiling the supplied
sources it is working well with two of my major OpenGL based apps and not
at all with the third.

The FlightGear flight sim and the AC3D modelling packages work fine but
the latest Realsoft3D Linux beta crashes on the ATI (It was fine with my
old Matrox G550 but that wasn't up to running the other two apps
adequately)

I'm still trying things with regard to getting RS3D working i.e. trying
different driver settings but I may have to bug it with RS - at least
then I'll find out why it's not happy.

Fortunately, I have another workstation with a Matrox in it.

LeeE