Special control characters ???

First, two examples:

   ^I
   ^M

Obviously, you know that these are each single characters, and not two:
caret+letter.

Where do these come from?  Are they features of the shell?

Where is an exhaustive list of such special control characters, and
their definitions?

They come in quite handy for shell scripts, and I'm sure there are those
about which I do not know, that can make life easier.

What do you think?

--
Best Regards,

mds