Re: Moz won't open PDFs; Galeon will

Kent West wrote:

Using Mozilla 1.4-6 from sid, I can't open any PDFs on the web. I click on a PDF link, and a blank mozilla window (not an external window, like xpdf or acroread) opens, and it acts like it's downloading, but the Moz window stays blank (except of course for the menus and icons and address bar and scroll bars, etc). I have mozplugger installed, and I suspect that's part of the problem.

When I click on a PDF link in Galeon, a new Galeon window opens, the progress bar at the bottom right fills up, and then the PDF document appears in the window, just like it should.

Konqueror opens up a separate xpdf window and then opens the document fine.

I get the same behaviour (from all three apps) when logged in as a different user.

There is no .mozpluggerrc in my local .mozilla profile.

The relevant portion of /etc/mozpluggerrc is here:

application/pdf: pdf: PDF file
application/x-pdf: pdf: PDF file
text/pdf: pdf: PDF file
text/x-pdf: pdf: PDF file
repeat swallow(acrobatreader) fill: acroread -geometry +9000+9000 +useFrontEndProgram -tempFileTitle acrobatreader "$file"
       repeat noisy swallow(Xpdf) fill: xpdf -g +9000+9000 "$file"
repeat noisy event_swallow(gv:) fill: gv -safer -quiet -antialias -geometry +9000+9000 "$file"

Just for completeness, I uninstalled mozplugger (apt-get remove mozplugger) and restarted Mozilla; now Mozilla asked what app to use to open the PDF; I specified /usr/bin/xpdf, and the document opened as expected. I reinstalled mozplugger, and now the problem has returned. So it definitely seems to be a problem with mozplugger.

Thanks!

--
Kent