Re: /dev/audio: No such device, do I have to recompile kernel?

Thanks for the thorough answer. I've now finally got the time to sit down and
try out some of the things you mention.

I simply did:

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-1-686

to change to this later kernel. Once that was done, modprobe es1371 worked. I
also added es1371 to /etc/modules. Now, when trying:

cat /usr/share/sounds/pop.wav > /dev/audio

I actually get the sound playing! However, this is the only type of sound
playing that seems to work. Both xmms and mq3 freeze as soon as you try and play
an mp3 with them and have to be killed. The Sounds section in the Gnome control
panel has a button for previewing wav files, that doesn't work either.

I have done more searching through the archives and come across some posts from
people with similar problems but none with solutions.

Would trying the ALSA drivers instead be the best course of action at this
stage?

Thanks,
Erik