Re: Switching from RH 7.3 to Debian 3.0r1

Curtis wrote:
I've downloaded the debian isos, burning them afterwards, but before I take the plunge into switching, is there anything to prepare? This is my first time switching distros on a computer. Any pitfalls to avoid. By the way, I wanted to do a netinstall, so I only have to use the first cd.
-Naota.

take you enough time for this step!
backing up your entire rh-/etc directory is a very good idea.
then become familiar whith the package-management-system (apt/dpkg), i was a long time rh73 user myself but i blew up my new debian several time using apt and dpkg incompetently. do not expect everything to work already today/this week - do not switch all your machines at once or if, there is only one computer, dualboot between debian and rh. your will most likely install debina several times.
especially installing debian on a desktop can be a great pain.
imho the switch is definitely worth doing in the long run.

cheers
rolf