Re: How to find out why python-apt is broken in testing

On Sat, Oct 11, 2003 at 03:21:47PM +0100, Alan Chandler wrote:
> I want to install mini-dhinstall in my "testing" environment, but can't
> because it is dependent on python-apt.
>
> python-apt wont install because it depends on a version of python, whose
> version number is 2.3 .  However python2.3 actually has version number
> 2.2.106-2beta2
>
> looking at the developers page for python, this version was upped (presumably
> in unstable) on 30th July -  I don't really understand why its not moving
> onward into testing.

We're working on it. It'll probably just take a few more days.

> 1) How can you determine from the developers page why this hold up, and

The python2.3 transition is too complicated for any current automatic
tools to give you that information, sorry. The debian-python list has
details.

> 2) Is there any way I can cheat (eg download the unstable deb of python and
> install it) that would work?

Exactly that procedure should work, but if you have other
python-dependent packages installed you may have to upgrade some of
those too.