Re: Licensing requirements ???

Kirk Strauser wrote:
At 2003-10-11T16:57:51Z, Roberto Sanchez <rcsanchez97@yahoo.es> writes:

I just looked at the page and it seems as though they just elaborate on
the GPL.  Basically, you use MySQL in a GPL app, and you are OK.

But what does that mean?  Clearly, if I embed the MySQL engine into an
application, then I'd have to follow the terms of the GPL.  Their page makes
it sounds as if I'm obligated to purchase a license if my application only
connects to a MySQL server that I'm distributing along with it.

That is correct.  If MySQL was LGPL, your app could conceivably connect
to it without any sort of licensing consiferation.  Think of it like
this:

Adobe Acrobat (proprietary) --> <connects to> --> Xserver that complies
with Xwindows standard

This is OK because the user is responsible for obtaining both the
Acrobat software and the Xserver.

Adobe Acrobat (proprietary) --> <connects to> --> XFree86 (that happens
to be distributed with Acrobat)

This is not OK, because Adobe would be distributing XFree86 (is GPL) as
an embeded (or vice versa) component of their product.

Thus,  if your app does this:

Proprietary app --> <connects to> --> database which complies with
SQL standard

It's ok if the user gets them independently because he could conceivably
use any SQL database.  Besides, he won't be redistributing your app
(I assume, anyways).

I believe it is all about how it is distrubited.  But, IANAL.

-Roberto