Re: Problems with jigdo

On Fri, Oct 10, 2003 at 09:04:59AM -0700, TEETER,VINCE (HP-USA,ex1) wrote:
> Hello
>
> There has got to be a better way.  I'm sure some doc, somewhere explains why
> the jigdo I downloaded doesn't work, but who can spend the time wading
> through all that.  Many of us here at HP would really like to see Debian
> replace the commercial versions of Linux, but the download and installation
> interfaces need to work for everybody, not just the in-crowd.
>
> Ok, insult me now if that's what you want to do, but this is what I did, and
> it did not work.  I download stuff all the time, so why does Debian have to
> be hard ?
>
> 1. downloaded, unziped, and read README.txt for i386 jigdo.lite.
>
> 2. followed instructions for dealing with a proxy:
>

> Making jigdo-lite use your proxy
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> To make jigdo-lite use your proxy for its downloads, first
> double-click on "jigdo-lite.bat" to start the program. As soon as the
> input prompt has appeared, abort the program again and close the
> command window.
>
> You will find that jigdo-lite has created a file called
> "jigdo-lite-settings.txt" in the same directory as this README.txt
> file. Load this into an editor and find the line that starts with
> "wgetOpts". The following switches can be added to the line:
>
> -e ftp_proxy=http://LOCAL-PROXY:PORT/
> -e http_proxy=http://LOCAL-PROXY:PORT/
> --proxy-user=USER
> --proxy-passwd=PASSWORD
>
> *******This is way to terse.  I think you mean replace //LOCAL-PROXY:PORT/
> with something but you need to show the exact syntax - I took a guess and
> put in what is in my Iexplorer proxy page **************
>
> 3.  tried starting jigdo-lite.bat both on the command line and by clicking
> its icon in Explorer.
>
> There was no jigdo-lite-settings.txt
>
> 4.  tried to contact a jigdo URL anyway, using what I guess is a jigdo
> URL/file,  and got the followin in jigdo-lite-settings.txt which looks more
> like some sort of log file:
>
> jigdo='http://us.cdimage.debian.org/jigdo-area/3.0_r1/jigdo/i386/woody-i386-
> jigdo'
> debianMirror=''
> nonusMirror=''
> tmpDir='.'
> jigdoOpts='--cache jigdo-file-cache.db'
> wgetOpts='--passive-ftp --dot-style=mega --continue --timeout=30'
> scanMenu=''
>
> 5.  So I added the proxy statemnts and the jigdo-lite-settings.txt file
> looks like:
>
> jigdo='http://us.cdimage.debian.org/jigdo-area/3.0_r1/jigdo/i386/woody-i386-
> 1.ji
> gdo'
> debianMirror=''
> nonusMirror=''
> tmpDir='.'
> jigdoOpts='--cache jigdo-file-cache.db'
> wgetOpts='--passive-ftp --dot-style=mega --continue --timeout=30 -e
> ftp_proxy=ht
> tp:web-proxy:8088 -e http_proxy=http:web-proxy:8088 --proxy-user=vxtee
> [...]

An un-official recommendation:

Get the CDs ( 7 in all ) from a mail order company.  The install
system is undergoing major revision. The new system is being tested.
The old system, which you will get on purchased CDs, is difficult, but
not as bad as your experience so far.

Look for suppliers of CDs on the Debian web site.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@peakpeak.com