Abnormal CPU usage...

I'm having what I can only describe as an "on again, off again" issue
that rears it's ugly head every now and then.

Some background.

My primary workstation is a Dual Pentium III 866 box, running unstable,
with a few little hacks thrown in of my own doing including software
RAID (two quantum ATA 100 drives striped...)

(more system info, if needed to solve this problem is available here
http://threegeeks.dyndns.org/?node=stinkfist)

Anyway, before I wander off topic.

While the machine is sitting here, idling really, with 3 Eterm's, XMMS,
galeon and evolution running, the system will on occasion get really
sluggish, and gkrellm will indicate that my CPU usage will spike from 2%
to 80% or higher, and back down every couple of seconds.

I've installed and run chkrootkit, and the output was clean with the
exception of the NIC being in promiscuous mode (how do I fix that?), but
when I try to run tiger is just, stalls...

I have included the output of ps, chkrootkit and tiger here
[http://threegeeks.dyndns.org/~dan/issues/]

This is something that I have experienced with mulitple SMP kernels, but
only under Debian, I never had these issues with Slackware, Redhat or
Mandrake...

I'm really stumped, as are my fellow geeks in the immediate area.

Input please?

Thanks in advance.

Dan