Re: Local .deb mirror / apt-move

Bill Moseley wrote:
> Anyway to have apt-get check another URL first for a package before
> downloading?

Within the priorities laid out in apt/preferences, APT will check the
sources *in the order that they appear in sources.list*

> To avoid downloading packages on setting up a new machine I've actually just
> scp'ed /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb to the new machine from a machine
> that already has been setup.

That's one way to do it. It'll look there first.

> I'm wondering if there's anyway I can just set my internal web server
> to point to /var/cache/apt/archives and have apt-get check there first
> before fetching the package.

No, apt will be fetching Packages and Release files. It's pretty
specific stuff. There's a better way- you've already hinted at it.
And don't forget NFS- you could let the new box *mount the archives
directory instead of filling up the drive with scp.

> apt-move seems more involved than I need -- after all I can still just
> use my old way to scp the .debs to where I need them.  And I don't
> really want to setup a mirror, just a cache.

I use apt-move {sync,update} and use a URL like
    file:/nfs-server/mirrors/debian unstable main

..where the resulting "partial mirror" is maintained. You can easily
make an ISO from it, and using the 2.88" boot disk images as a boot
loader it will make a nice custom CD to pack around.