Re: Just got CDs, boot, oops...

KRF wrote:
Just got my 7 CDs in the mail and have a dedicated PC to learn Debian on. I downloaded the entire manual and have good intentions to go through the install step by step, totally unlike my usual method of learning by rapid tapping on the enter key.

CDs say they are D3.0 Woody and Manual says same thing.

First step, boot CD1 to boot: prompt and then enter vanilla, which I assume will bring up a minimal system.

However, I get a...

Could not find kernel image: vanilla

Is the manual out of sync with the CDs now? I can bypass it by just pressing enter, but then I assume that it will totally blow away the installation sequence of the tutorial.

Ken

Try bf24 instead of vanilla.  The basic kernel in Woody is 2.2.20, which
is very old.  If you have any hardware that was manufacured in the last
3 or so years, you will want the bf24 install (which uses a 2.4.18
kernel).  That will likely have drivers for most of your hardware.

-Roberto