Re: Dependency trouble after installing backport

Hello Ron,

Am Don, 2003-10-09 um 12.24 schrieb Ron Rademaker:
> Hello,
>
> I've installed a backport of exim4 for woody (because I want to use xasm
> and xasm needs exim 4), however this has caused some trouble. Namely
> pretty much any package that depends on exim (like mailscanner) thinks
> something is wrong and wants to completely remove my exim4 installation
> and reinstall exim. I want to know if it's possible to make apt think
> that exim4 provides exim so that everything will be back the way I want
> it.

One way would be to recompile all packages which depend on exim and
replace the exim depency with exim4 (if the packages don't have problems
with the newer exim4 when compiling, that is).

It's also trivial to generate a fake .deb of exim. I 've attached one to
this mail. The whole .deb consists of a Readme in /usr/share/docs.

HTH
--

Matthias Hentges
Cologne / Germany

[www.hentges.net] -> PGP welcome, HTML tolerated
ICQ: 97 26 97 4   -> No files, no URL's

My OS: Debian Woody. Geek by Nature, Linux by Choice