Re: spamassassin vs. html emails

On Thursday 09 October 2003 06:01, Will Trillich wrote:
> i get a LOT of spam that slips thru spamassassin --
>
> it's multipart/alternative, but the only alternative is html,
> which i would hope would get a positive hit under "html-only
> email" test.
>
> the end of all the headers looks thus:

I would *strongly* recommend using a more recent version of
SpamAssassin. This is an arms race....

I use the packages from
deb http://people.debian.org/~aurel32/BACKPORTS stable main
They are pretty bleeding edge, but I think they work very well. Aurelien
Jarno does a really good job with them, I think so you can use apt-get
upgrade to keep SpamAssassin up-to-date.

> i've looked at man spamassassin and Mail::SpamAssassin::Conf and
> there's not a lot there about the individual rules and what they
> do. spamassassin.org/tests.html tells what the default scores
> are, but not where to go to turn on/turn off/create new tests...
>
> so i'm wondering where to look on how to create new tests.
> anybody know this?

Yup, you put things in /etc/spamassassin/local.cf

Just to raise the score, you can do something like
score MIME_HTML_ONLY	1.0

or you can define a new rule like this:

body DOMAIN_NOT_RENEWED         /after years, the registration on the
domain name/
describe DOMAIN_NOT_RENEWED     Spam to sell hijacked domain
score DOMAIN_NOT_RENEWED        3.0

I hope that was an answer to your question!

Cheers,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo