shorewall: imap doesn't work any longer

I have setup a debian 3.0 server functioning as a gateway, router,
**IMAP SERVER**, and firewall. It connects to the internet via a DSL
ppp0 connection and to the internal network through eth1.

Being an absolute beginner, I've set up shorewall with a basic
configuration suggested in the net. Since then the imap connection
from client to server isn't working any longer (the server collects
mail from the internet; the mail is read by clients by means of imap).

How should I configure shorewall to make the imap server work again
(the imap traffic is between server's eth1 interface and client eth0

Step by step instructions will be highly appreciated.