shorewall: imap doesn't work any longer

I have setup a debian 3.0 server functioning as a gateway, router,
**IMAP SERVER**, and firewall. It connects to the internet via a DSL
ppp0 connection and to the internal network through eth1.

Being an absolute beginner, I've set up shorewall with a basic
configuration suggested in the net. Since then the imap connection
from client to server isn't working any longer (the server collects
mail from the internet; the mail is read by clients by means of imap).

How should I configure shorewall to make the imap server work again
(the imap traffic is between server's eth1 interface and client eth0
interface)?

Step by step instructions will be highly appreciated.

Ciao

Vittorio