Repartitioning questions

Hey ho,

Due to some bad initial partitioning scheme, I'm now stuck with WinXP on
C: (/dev/hda1) and a FAT32-partition on /dev/hda2. Then comes Debian,
installed on some logical partitions.

I would like to shrink the FAT-partition (which is way too big), and -
of course - regain the freed space for Debian. For some reason or
another, I think it's not quite possible to do just that.

Which is why I figured it might be easier to just back up as much as
possible, repartition, and then copy the backups to where they came
from.

My question being: is it possible to just copy whole directory trees and
put them back afterwards? I know that's not a problem at all with /home
or /etc, but can I do the same with /var or /usr? Will everything still
properly function afterwards (like, for example, dpkg & apt)? Or is it
just a master plan to reach chaos, panic and disorder?

Thanks in advance for any encouraging words. Or warnings, for that
matter.

Greets,
Tom

--