gnome-panel in stable/main

Hi Everyone,

   I recently installed the stable/main distribution of Gnome (1.4)
and I have been experiencing problems with applets segfaulting. There
seems to be one or two that segfault and throw the panel into a tizzy.

   Any ideas on why this is happenning? I've checked the bug reports
and didn't see any that seem related to this so I suppose that my
machine is different from others? (Its a 486).

   In an effort to correct this problem, I adjusted

           etc/gnome/panel-config/panel.d/default/Applet_Config

by removing the applets that were segfaulting but now when the user
chooses "Log Out" it only stops the panel and doesn't carry on to the
other programs so the user is looking at a blank desktop with only a
middle-button that is responsive.

Thank you,
Elizabeth